Boudoir posing and lighting workshop
This workshop will focus on on how to pose and light women for boudoir and portrait photography. You will learn how to pose women into natural light and strobes to get dramatic and impactful photos.
This workshop will be an all day event and will be a mixture of classroom style presentation and practical shooting where you will get to use your camera and interact with a model. This workshop will be held at a Ringlight studios in Berkley, CA and we will have a couple of models professionally made over to demonstrate and practice with.
The workshop will begin with a powerpoint slideshow and an interactive classroom style presentation covering, the principals of a wow shot, posing theory, expression and direction and technical lighting stuff that we will be implementing later in the day with models. I will thoroughly answer all questions and we'll cover topics which will include:
- How to create a "wow" shot and the 5 things your photo must have to be one.
- The fundamentals of light and how it behaves.
- How to control natural and artificial light.
- The tricks I use to make women comfortable when being photographed.
- How to teach your clients to manipulate their expression.
- Posing theory.
- How we can use posing to compliment different body types.
- Why posing and lighting go hand in glove and how to pose into light to create dramatic images.
- The language to use to get your subject to do exactly what you want.
Practical application of the presentation topics
The second part of the day will reinforce the topics covered in the presentation where you will get to practice what you learned with your camera. There will be two models available during this practical application and each attendee will get to work with the models individually and as a group.
We will pose the models into natural light and you will also use strobes where you will pose and light models using artificial lighting. Triggers will be provided for both Canon and Nikon systems.
This workshop is intended for people who are already familiar with the basic operations of their camera. You should be familiar with your cameras basic operations and make sure you know how to manually set your camera's shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. You should be familiar with concepts such as depth of field and how to correctly choose shutter speed to capture sharp photos. Break out your manual and review these principals before the workshop if necessary!
You will need your camera, your choice of lens, batteries, and memory cards. Ideally you camera will be full frame and your lens will have a max aperture of f2.8 or faster, but this is not mandatory. The best lenses for this class will be something like or in the range of the following:
- 24-70mm f2.8
- 70-200mm f2.8 (my favorite)
- 50mm f1.4
- 85mm f1.4
Date & Time | April 28th, 2018 9AM - 6PM
Location | Ringlight Studios
2701 8th Street
Berkeley CA 94710
Workshop Registration & Terms
- A $500.00 fee is due for the full day workshop at the time of registration.
- If you would like to register for the event, please fill out the form below. An invoice will be emailed to you where you can pay your registration securely via credit card or bank transfer. If you would like to make payment via check, that is fine as well just let me know beforehand so I can temporarily reserve your spot.
- Workshop fee is non-refundable, however you are welcome to sell or gift your spot to someone else if you wish.
- Workshop is limited to 6 people only so I can assure individual attention to each photographer, and allow plenty of time to work with the models and get personal feedback.
- Signed model releases will be provided to you as part of the workshop, so any images you create can absolutely be used for your portfolio.
- Refreshments will be provided as part of the event, however you will be responsible for your own lunch. We will take a 1 hr break at mid day where you will be free to hang out around the studio or if you choose, there are lots of awesome places to eat at within walking distance should you choose to eat at one of them.